Missouri Botanical Garden Logo

An Illustrated History 
of the Missouri Botanical Garden
Illustrated History Home    Historical Timeline
Browse by Subject Matter    Garden Home 

   Search for   Advanced Search  

1935
A portion of the new U.S. 66 highway is dedicated as the Henry Shaw Gardenway.


Emile L. Herzinger watercolor portrait of Henry Shaw, 1859.

Due to an effort by St. Louisians and spearheaded by A.B. Greensfelder a new section of U.S. 66 stretching from the St. Louis city limits to the entrance of the Arboretum (now formally known as the Shaw Nature Reserve) at Gray Summit is dedicated as the Henry Shaw Gardenway. This effort was actually a work around solution to publically honor Henry Shaw due to his stipulation that the Garden would never bear his name in any official way. This however had no impact on the fact that St. Louis residents would continue as they had for decades to informally refer to the Garden as "Shaw's Garden."

 

Previous Section | Back to Timeline | Next Section
Copyright © 2000-2010  |  Missouri Botanical Garden  |  Contact MBG Archives