Missouri Botanical Garden Logo

An Illustrated History 
of the Missouri Botanical Garden
Illustrated History Home    Historical Timeline
Browse by Subject Matter    Garden Home 

   Search for   Advanced Search  
Total number of images matching your request: 32
Page 2 of 4

First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

11.  Lily Pond -- Main Garden

Lily Pond located in the Main Garden. Man and woman visible. Lily pool east of parterre. Euryale ferox in pool. 




12.  MBG -- Conservatory (1868-1916)

View of Main Conservatory (1868-1916) and Juno showing visitors in the foreground. Taken from a Stereo View. 



1890

13.  Statue of 'Juno' in the parterre in the 1890s.

Statue of 'Juno' in the parterre in the 1890's. 



1888

14.  Date palm in Parterre in 1890s.

Date palm in Parterre in 1890's. 



1890

15.  View. Carpet bedding at Main Gate. View directly west. Juno at right.

View of carpet bedding at Main Gate. View is directly west with Juno at right. Visitors visible to the left. (Gardener & 2 ladies.) 



1904

16.  View. Main Parterre - formal bed of echeveria in foreground. Juno.

Looking due west from Main Gate. 



1910

17.  View. Main Garden from top of old palm house looking southwest. Juno. Observatory.

View of Main Garden from top of old palm house looking southwest. Juno, Observatory, and Victory visible. Tower of Tower Grove House visible through trees. 



1907

18.  View. Tulips in Main Garden. Looking north-east. Main greenhouse. Juno.

Rectangular summerhouse near east wall. 



1904

19.  MBG -- Italian Garden

MBG Italian Garden (a.k.a. the Formal Garden). South side, Desert House. PRINT AVAILABLE -- SEE PHO 1982-0265. The Pergola was the open row of columns and trellises bordering the west side of the Italian Garden. The Arbors were the two roofed structures at the center of the Pergola. The Greenhouse which made up the surrounding border of the Italian Garden was -- as a whole -- referred to as the Conservatory or the Italian Garden Greenhouse, with each part of the building segmented into; Desert House, Cycad and Fern House, Economic House, South African House, and Palm House. After the Palm House was torn down, the remaining south and north buildings were called the Desert House and the Mediterranean House. 



1921

20.  Italian Garden. Looking west toward pergola. Juno.

Italian Garden view looking west toward pergola. Juno visible. 



1918

  First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

 

Copyright © 2000-2021  |  Missouri Botanical Garden  |  Contact MBG Archives