Missouri Botanical Garden Logo

An Illustrated History 
of the Missouri Botanical Garden
Illustrated History Home    Historical Timeline
Browse by Subject Matter    Garden Home 

   Search for   Advanced Search  

1964
George Pring retires after almost sixty years at the Garden.


George Pring

First signing on to the Garden staff in 1906, George Pring remains to this day the longest serving member of the Garden staff. During his tenure he spearheaded the Garden's first exploratory trips to the tropics of Central and South America, developed the Garden's lily and orchids into world renown collections, and served as witness to the changes at the Garden that saw it shift from the old Victorian garden that Henry Shaw had created and that still existed in 1906 to one that embodied the future in the construction and completion of the Climatron in 1960.

 

Previous Section | Back to Timeline | Next Section
Copyright © 2000-2010  |  Missouri Botanical Garden  |  Contact MBG Archives