Missouri Botanical Garden Logo

An Illustrated History 
of the Missouri Botanical Garden
Illustrated History Home    Historical Timeline
Browse by Subject Matter    Garden Home 

   Search for   Advanced Search  

1913
Palm House constructed.


Main Garden Lily Pools with concrete construction; lilies in the fall of 1917. The newly constructed Palm House is in the background. Negative available at PHO 2006-2262.

In his first five years as Director, the Garden began publishing the Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden a journal containing articles about the Gardenís scientific research. During this time, the Garden also constructed a large greenhouse for Tropical plants, the Palm House, directly west of the main entrance. This structure was built in 1913, largely to replace the 1868 Greenhouse which had fallen into disrepair. In 1915, the 1868 Greenhouse was torn down once all the plants inside had been relocated into the new greenhouse.

 

Previous Section | Back to Timeline | Next Section
Copyright © 2000-2010  |  Missouri Botanical Garden  |  Contact MBG Archives