During the years from Shaw’s death through the early 1900s, the Garden was only open on two Sundays a year. Thus for workingmen, the garden was effectively only available on those two days. Most visitors, therefore, saw the garden either on one of these open Sundays, or for the flower shows. The Garden began holding the annual chrysanthemum shows in 1905, and it was an immediate success. In 1905, over 100,000 people took the streetcar down Tower Grove Avenue to the Garden. Thousands of chrysanthemums were arranged into beautiful displays for these mum shows. The Garden was finally opened on every Sunday in 1915.