Missouri Botanical Garden Logo

An Illustrated History 
of the Missouri Botanical Garden
Illustrated History Home    Historical Timeline
Browse by Subject Matter    Garden Home 

   Search for   Advanced Search  

1890s
In accordance with Shaw’s will, his Town House is moved to the Garden grounds.


Henry Shaw's Townhouse located at 7th & Locust just before removal in 1891 to the Missouri Botanical Garden at 2315 Tower Grove Avenue. Similar to GPN 1982-0356. PRINTS AVAILABLE -- SEE PHO 1982-0357.

After Shaw’s death one provision of his will was that his town house, which had been located at Seventh and Locust in downtown St. Louis was to be dismantled and moved to the Botanical Garden. It was carefully torn down and each brick and plank was labeled so that the house could be reassembled on the grounds. The building, once it was rebuilt, was used on the grounds for administration purposes, and also for some of the scientific research facilities.

 

Previous Section | Back to Timeline | Next Section
Copyright © 2000-2010  |  Missouri Botanical Garden  |  Contact MBG Archives