Missouri Botanical Garden Logo

An Illustrated History 
of the Missouri Botanical Garden
Illustrated History Home    Historical Timeline
Browse by Subject Matter    Garden Home 

   Search for   Advanced Search  
Total number of images matching your request: 12
Page 1 of 2

First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

1.  Statue of 'Juno' in Italian Garden.

Statue of 'Juno' in Italian Garden. 



1918

2.  Italian Garden and west side of Palm House.

Italian Garden and west side of Palm House. 



1918

3.  Italian Garden. Pergola (extends on north-south axis).

Italian Garden. Pergola (extends on north-south axis) in background. Juno visible to the right. 



1918

4.  MBG -- Italian Garden

MBG Italian Garden (a.k.a. the Formal Garden). South side, Desert House. PRINT AVAILABLE -- SEE PHO 1982-0265. The Pergola was the open row of columns and trellises bordering the west side of the Italian Garden. The Arbors were the two roofed structures at the center of the Pergola. The Greenhouse which made up the surrounding border of the Italian Garden was -- as a whole -- referred to as the Conservatory or the Italian Garden Greenhouse, with each part of the building segmented into; Desert House, Cycad and Fern House, Economic House, South African House, and Palm House. After the Palm House was torn down, the remaining south and north buildings were called the Desert House and the Mediterranean House. 



1921

5.  Italian Garden. Looking west toward pergola. Juno.

Italian Garden view looking west toward pergola. Juno visible. 



1918

6.  Italian Garden. Looking north-west toward Mediterranean House. Row of Lombardy poplars.

 



1921

7.  Mediterranean House and Italian Garden with tulips. Juno and Portico in view.

Mediterranean House and Italian Garden with tulips. Juno and Portico in view. 



1918

8.  MBG -- Italian Garden, Employees

MBG Italian Garden (a.k.a. the Formal Garden). Employees posed for group shot in center of garden with Juno statue, Arbor in background. Adhered to scrapbook page with another photograph on reverse side. The Pergola was the open row of columns and trellises bordering the west side of the Italian Garden. The Arbors were the two roofed structures at the center of the Pergola. The Greenhouse which made up the surrounding border of the Italian Garden was -- as a whole -- referred to as the Conservatory or the Italian Garden Greenhouse, with each part of the building segmented into; Desert House, Cycad and Fern House, Economic House, South African House, and Palm House. After the Palm House was torn down, the remaining south and north buildings were called the Desert House and the Mediterranean House. 




9.  MBG -- Italian Garden, Employees

MBG Italian Garden (a.k.a. the Formal Garden). Employees posed for group shot in front of Conservatory. Adhered to scrapbook page with another photograph on reverse side. The Pergola was the open row of columns and trellises bordering the west side of the Italian Garden. The Arbors were the two roofed structures at the center of the Pergola. The Greenhouse which made up the surrounding border of the Italian Garden was -- as a whole -- referred to as the Conservatory or the Italian Garden Greenhouse, with each part of the building segmented into; Desert House, Cycad and Fern House, Economic House, South African House, and Palm House. After the Palm House was torn down, the remaining south and north buildings were called the Desert House and the Mediterranean House. 




10.  Climatron Construction

Climatron Construction. Rear of Climatron - former Italian Garden. Picture taken Sept. 26, 1959. 




  First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

 

Copyright © 2000-2017  |  Missouri Botanical Garden  |  Contact MBG Archives