Missouri Botanical Garden Logo

An Illustrated History 
of the Missouri Botanical Garden
Illustrated History Home    Historical Timeline
Browse by Subject Matter    Garden Home 

   Search for   Advanced Search  
Total number of images matching your request: 45
Page 4 of 5

First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

31.  MBG -- Conservatory (1868-1916)

View of the 1868 Main Conservatory looking north with many visitors in the foreground. The image was probably taken from top of the Observatory. Image originally entitled 'Shaw's Garden.' E. Boehl, photographer. Postcard made from negative, dated 1910. 



1890

32.  MBG -- Conservatory (1868-1916)

Main Conservatory Greenhouse with Juno and visitors in the foreground. The view is looking to the north. 'Shaw's Garden' 



1890

33.  MBG -- Conservatory (1868-1916)

View of the Main Conservatory (1868-1916) probably taken from the Observatory. Ladies in the foreground. Person can be seen running just in front of Juno. Person appears as a blur due to the slow exposure rate of the camera. 



1905

34.  MBG -- Conservatory (1868-1916)

View of the parterre with gentlemen on paths. Juno is in center. Victory and museum can be seen in background. View is looking south from the steps of the Main Conservatory. 



1890

35.  MBG -- Greenhouse Damage From Fire

Set of three prints from c. 1902 Fire at Greenhouse. 



1902

36.  MBG -- Greenhouse Damage From Fire

Set of three prints from c. 1902 Fire at Greenhouse. 



1902

37.  MBG -- Greenhouse Damage From Fire

Set of three prints from c. 1902 Fire at Greenhouse. 



1902

38.  MBG -- Herbaceous Garden

MBG Herbaceous Garden -- contact sheet of all 8 photographs which are part of a panoramic view of the garden shortly before it was removed and replaced. Two copy negatives available (one for each half). Some photo images (PHO 2000-0239.2-5) in this set are of the early Parterre and Main Greenhouse complex. They are kept together because of the negative set. 



1914

39.  MBG -- Italian Garden, Employees

MBG Italian Garden (a.k.a. the Formal Garden). Employees posed for group shot in front of Conservatory. Adhered to scrapbook page with another photograph on reverse side. The Pergola was the open row of columns and trellises bordering the west side of the Italian Garden. The Arbors were the two roofed structures at the center of the Pergola. The Greenhouse which made up the surrounding border of the Italian Garden was -- as a whole -- referred to as the Conservatory or the Italian Garden Greenhouse, with each part of the building segmented into; Desert House, Cycad and Fern House, Economic House, South African House, and Palm House. After the Palm House was torn down, the remaining south and north buildings were called the Desert House and the Mediterranean House. 




40.  MBG Through the grove

View through the grove of the Observatory and the Main Conservatory from atop of Tower Grove House. Ladies can be seen sitting in the upper level of the Observatory. Linnean house is in the background. View is to the north. 



1900

  First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page

 

Copyright © 2000-2017  |  Missouri Botanical Garden  |  Contact MBG Archives